Sunday, July 13, 2008

Vacation Ramblings

We're back home after a week of camping at Letchworth State Park.  We go every year and it's always a good time. There is nothing better than sleeping in fresh air and waking up to a cacophony of birds.  I had a lot of time to think and reflect on my career while there.  Funny how being away from technology helps the thought process.

I got a call just before I left and I should have good news to announce on the job front after tomorrow night.  I am realizing that I have got to stop worrying about what other people think and follow my own instincts. It is so important to be visible and to constantly promote the programs and services the library offers.  I have to do these things even if my colleagues are not so inclined.  I have always deferred to the other librarians I've worked with when it comes to advocacy.  Truthfully, I was glad they didn't feel it was a priority because I've always been uncomfortable about promoting myself.  Isn't that bragging? Isn't it rude to brag? 

One of the administrators who did not hire me during my job search advised me that I need to get better at promoting myself.  She said my accomplishments and the comments of my references were outstanding but I downplayed it all during my interviews.  I know she's right. For the record, I did not get that job because I lacked experience at the secondary level, which I guess I emphasized more than my interest in trying new things and the success I've had when pioneering programs.

As I look back over my years of experience, there are so many ideas that I've pushed aside for fear of looking like a show-off or fear of my colleagues thinking I'm trying to one-up them. I need to let that go and start showing what I am all about.  I remember a song I learned when I was a kid - I think it will be my theme this year.  "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."

1 comment:

LARRY LIBRARY said...

I can surely sympathize with your disappointment as I too have been job hunting like mad. I returned a $76,000 unsigned contract to return to my Midwest roots in Wis. So far have had one interview, no offers. But I'll be @ the wheel of a U-Haul truck by Sat. on my way to the Badger state. Who knows? I may wind up working in the sewer again like I did in the summers during college, but it's still worth it. Best of luck to you. Take care.