Friday, July 4, 2008

Is bubbly everything?

Now that school is out, there's finally time to focus on a blog.  I've made a few attempts to get a blog started over the past two years, but pesky things like children and work get in the way.  I still have children to deal with, but, thanks to budget cuts, I don't happen to have a job to distract me at the moment.

I came by the name for this blog following a job interview several years ago.  When I asked the principal for feedback following the rejection letter, I was told, "You just weren't bubbly enough for us." 

Since I learned that I was going to be excessed I have applied for every vacancy published and been interviewed for each.  Sadly, I have yet to receive and offer.  Twice I've made it all the way to the superintendent only to be passed over for someone "less expensive."  At least they are not telling me I'm not "bubbly enough," but how does one compete in a market when expense is more influential than experience?  I don't know how to respond when told what an excellent candidate I am but the district is choosing to go with someone less expensive.

I am living in this economy.  I understand where they are coming from. But, where does that leave me?  Nine years of experience seems to be a hindrance rather than asset.  I wonder if they'd be willing to pay for the bubbly? 

No comments: