Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Professional organizations- which ones?

It's that time of year.  My membership in NY Library Association came up for renewal, and I renewed.  I've also renewed my ALA membership and always keep my membership in my local organization, CNYMS, active.  

I've been considering joining NYSCATE, and/or ISTE as well. It seems that technology is taking a bigger role in what I do every year.  I wonder, how many school librarians belong to these organizations in addition to their library association membership?  Do any of you choose to be a member of your state or national technology association instead of your library association?

My main reason for joining my state and national organizations is to receive their publications to stay up to date with everything happening in the field.  I also enjoy attending my state conferences when conditions allow. (I have yet to be able to attend a national conference, but I will someday!) 

Just some late night musings posted while my family watches "I Survived a Japanese Game Show."  What will they think of next?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not big on associations right now, but my tendency has always been to join technology groups. I've been a member of AECT, of the Virginia Society for Technology in Education (VSTE), and of VEMA (the Virginia Educational Media Association).

As I think of it, associations--which offer hands-on workshops at their conferences--make more sense for technology. LM-NET and blogs make more sense for developing knowledge about librarianship.

I am a high school librarian. I don't know if that has some bearing on my attitude or not, but I suspect that academic librarians make up the majority of members in library associations since they are in a more specialized professional roles.