Sunday, July 6, 2008

Another rejection

I received another rejection letter in the mail yesterday.  This one was not totally unexpected. The commute would have been long and they did ask about that.  I think their concern is that I'll jump ship as soon as I find something closer. Still, I enjoyed the interview,and it was a nice school, so I had hoped they might give me a chance.

I am listening to Dr. Wayne Dyer's The Power of Intention and it supports my belief that the things that happen in this world are not random, but have a purpose.  Even those things that seem bad. I have always believed that I would get another job... I guess I didn't think it would take this long.  

Being an elementary school librarian is risky business in this economy.  Schools don't HAVE to have us, so when times get tight, we are among the first people they consider cutting, especially if we are not a "special" providing planning time for the classroom teacher.  Doug Johnson discusses the pros and cons of a fixed schedule and he nails it.  My previous job was safe and secure with a fixed schedule.  It was not ideal for promoting collaboration with classroom teachers, so when I was asked to apply for my most recent job in a school with a much more flexible schedule, I jumped. Being able to spend entire afternoons with classes working on projects was liberating.  It was great to see a project finish in a reasonable amount of time. On the other hand, there were those teachers who didn't see a need for the library.  Their students received far less instruction and read many fewer books. That is the downside of a flexible schedule.  

I have a couple more interviews coming.  It will be interesting to see where this journey takes me.

No comments: