Friday, July 18, 2008

Technology Irony

I'm back to the blog after two days away for my daughter's jaw surgery.  She had her underdeveloped jaw enlarged (?) on Wednesday and I had lots of time to think and reflect. The surgery took place in Rochester, NY, home of Rochester Institute of Technology, where I was twice accepted and twice opted not to attend. I was thinking about the three times I had the chance to become a computer programmer.  When I enlisted in the Air Force in 1985, they tried to get me to go into computer programming.  I thought they were crazy.  Later, I took a couple of classes in programming and discovered that I really liked it!  I would be disappointed if my program worked the first time because my favorite part was debugging. So, I applied to become a programmer in the USAF and also applied to RIT for programming.   I was accepted to both and in the end decided that I would do neither because I couldn't imagine spending my days in front of a computer.

Now, I have a new job and the most exciting thing about it is that I will have my own computer lab and SMART Board in my library. I went from not being able to imagine spending my days in front of a computer to not being able to imagine functioning without one!

It makes me wonder what will be 20 years from now.

No comments: